• Things should be better nowadays. At least in that department 😅.
  • That's right. Audrey Tang wrote Pugs, the first implementation of Raku written in Haskell. I've linked to the repository so you might find some goodies there ;-).

...what is the story where I learn P6 (raku...) instead of using haskell or common lisp?
    Unfortunately, I know next to nothing about neither Haskell nor Common Lisp, thus I wouldn't be capable to provide a fair assessment. One time I tried to go over the Learn You a Haskell book but I dropped it in the first chapter. Nonetheless, I'm still interested in Haskell and will probably try to learn it in the no so distant future. Same for Common Lisp, especially the macros part. BTW, regarding macros one of the Raku core developers implemented a subset of Raku called Alma as a testbed for macros in Raku.

There is a Haskell to Raku guide so it might give you a glimpse of what the language has to offer compared to Haskell. You might even be enticed to learn Raku and expand the guide :-)!

Finally, I suggest you ask in either the #perl6 or #raku IRC channel. Give it a try!
  • Probably last tried 2 years ago.
  • Actually no, cusses too much to take seriously. I fucking hate that shit.
  • You don't like joe rogan? /s
  • AFAIK a lot of haskell guys worked on P6, but the issue is I already know haskell and while some o the grammar stuff, and I think they're doing some neat metacircular stuff in there, what is the story where I learn P6 (raku...) instead of using haskell or common lisp? The speed issue isn't so much of a problem, I'm more interested in what it makes possible.
  • From the book's website:

This book is a collection of different programming challenges and solutions in Raku. It can be used as an exercise book, when you are learning Raku, or as a reference book when you are teaching it.
    It is assumed that the reader knows the basics of Raku and wants to have some practice.
  • Do you mind sharing when was the last time you tried? One usually would get the compiler Rakudo through Rakudo Star (quaterly releases) which contains the Rakudo compiler, a few modules from the ecosystem, and language documentation. You can also install only the compiler if you wish. Alternatively, you could try rakudo-pkg which offers minimalistic, self-contained packages for every Rakudo release (monthly).

By JRE, do you mean Java Runtime Environment? Rakudo targets the JVM and MoarVM, thus you probably tried to install Rakudo targeting JVM and that's the reason for the dependencies. I myself have only used Rakudo targeting MoarVM.

If you still want to install it, I suggest you go with Rakudo on MoarVM. If you've any questions, you can join the #perl6 IRC channel. I'm quite sure people there will help you out.
  • Thanks! I appreciate it ;-)!
  • man i really appreciate the quality and depth of your posts/comments. it's honestly incredible
  • I tried to install it once, but the dependencies made it a no-go for me. Fucker tried to pull down a JRE! Glad perl 5 is going to live on.
  • Camelia, the Raku mascot, is an interesting thing. People either hate it or love it. Some people who previously hated it claim that Camelia grew on them and they now love it. Thus, there's some hope for people who hate it. I myself was in that camp, though I still think the logo could use some improvements. For instance, the color palette. As of now, they're too bright and saturated.

Don't tell anyone but if look closely enough, you can find some easter eggs.
  • As cc-d states, Raku is a relatively new programming language with its first stable release back in 2015 and with its second major release back in 2018. I'd daresay many people in the community use it for their personal projects but compared to other languages, its use is sporadic at a larger and corporate level. The one example I can remember from the top of my head is from Jonathan Worthington's Raku presentation about concurrency in which he discusses how his company used Raku for a client's project and how concurrency (and other Raku's features) fitted in all that. If you've some time, it's worth a watch.

As for speed, Raku isn't as fast enough as it could theoretically be in all areas. However, speed improvements for different areas are tackled one at time and thus you'll find that it's fast enough for some things but not for others for the time being. If you want to use Raku and speed is of utmost importance, then I'd recommend you first consult the people at #perl6 IRC so you have a less nuanced approach to the problem and determine if Raku will fit the bill. As an add-on, this is another Worthington's presentation on Raku perfomance.
  • it's still rather new, so adoption is low currently.

imo python really filled the niche that perl5 fit in previously. perl6 seems to be trying to carve out an entirely new space
  • Does anyone actually use Perl 6 for anything?